Of all the places you expect to be safe from germs, you wouldn't think to find bacteria on surgical tools used in an operating room.
Last week, however, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health released a statement over five patients who underwent surgery at a Cape Cod Hospital who were exposed to a fatal brain disease due to being exposed to the same potentially contaminated medical equipment. The disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), causes patients to "show signs of memory loss and cognitive difficulty early on," according to CNN, and is almost always fatal.
Though the hospital did conduct normal sterilization procedures on all of their equipment, it evidently was not enough to kill the disease proteins and prevent the transmission of CJD.
Ahead of the start of cold and flu season, the episode is a reminder that germs can be lurking anywhere, often where we might not expect them.