When mishandled or used in an attack, chlorine can be deadly. First employed as a weapon in World War I, its use in the battlefield is banned by international treaties. The corrosive properties of the gas mean the health effects experienced by anyone exposed to it are particularly brutal and can manifest within seconds.
Even at low levels, chlorine in the air can cause eye, skin and airway irritation. At higher doses, those who inhale chlorine gas or experience eye or skin contact may face chest tightness, blurred vision, wheezing, shortness of breath and painful skin blisters, among other symptoms. Changes in the pH balance of the blood can also damage organs. Severe doses can lead to a potentially deadly pulmonary edema several hours later, according to the CDC.
RELATED: Syrian Refugees: Why the Freakout?
On a cellular level, chlorine causes hydrogen to split from water from moist tissue, leading to the release of oxygen and hydrogen chloride, which causes tissue damage, as the New York Department of Health notes. Chlorine oxidation can also form hypochlorous acid, which can destroy cell structure.
Unfortunately there is no antidote for chlorine poisoning. Various treatments may include administration of oxygen, bronchodilators or other therapies to open up the airways.
Acute symptoms associated with mild or moderate exposure to chlorine gas will disappear after three to five days, but it takes months for lung function to return to normal, according to an article published in the Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. For some, chronic respiratory problems following exposure can be a long-term health concern.
WATCH VIDEO: What Weapons are Illegal in War?