Everybody dies, but even after celebrities shuffle off this mortal coil their deaths get the Hollywood gloss.
The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, didn't die of a drug overdose; he was killed. This morning, one of Jackson's physicians, Dr. Conrad Murray, was officially indicted in Jackson's death in Los Angeles, charged with involuntary manslaughter for administering the pop star a lethal cocktail of powerful drugs (mostly painkillers), including the now-infamous industrial-strength anesthetic propofol.
Actress Brittany Murphy died just before Christmas 2009 at her Hollywood home from multiple drug intoxication and pneumonia (possibly complicated by iron deficiency anemia). Coroner officials said Murphy went into sudden cardiac arrest soon after taking drugs (including the painkiller Vicoprofen and the antidepressant Sarafem), and that her death was accidental.
But for an example of pharmaceutically-induced death, actor Heath Ledger's demise is one for the books. He died from an overdose of prescription drugs, a combination of painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping pills, including oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine. Ledger's death was officially classified as an accident.