A Brooklyn, N.Y., man was reportedly killed by urinating on the electrified third rail of a subway train line, but is that possible?
Matthew Zeno, 30, was returning home from a bar early Monday morning (July 8) when he chose to relieve himself along the G-train subway line, according to the New York Post.
But some analysts are throwing cold water on these kinds of reports, saying it's not possible to be electrocuted by urinating on an electric line.
A stream of urine quickly separates into individual droplets, according to the television program "MythBusters." Because the urine isn't a steady stream, it would be highly unlikely that a powerful electric current could travel up it.
Nonetheless, though it may be rare, there are a handful of cases in which an individual (always male, it seems) has died when a strong electric current traveled up his urine stream.
One story, recounted by Marshall Houts in "Where Death Delights" (Dell Books, 1968), involves a man named Joseph Patrick O'Malley, who was struck by a train in a New York City subway tunnel, according to the Straight Dope.