A Vermont woman got more than a sweet fruit when she reached into her bag of grapes: a black widow spider scurried up her arm and bit her.
The 21-year-old stayed overnight in the hospital and will be monitored "for months" for symptoms, such as muscle pain, according to WPTZ.com.
The bag of grapes came from Shaw's, a local supermarket chain. Shaw's said, in response to the bite:
"The health and safety of products we sell, and our customers, is our first concern. We have been closely monitoring the situation and been in contact with the family. We replaced product in the customer's refrigerator as a precaution and took immediate action to inspect the product at the customer's store. We also are inspecting the product in all of our stores and have been in touch with the supplier, which has an extensive food safety management system in place."
And it wasn't the first time a black widow crawled from a bag of Shaw's grapes; another shopper found a spider in a grape bag in 2004.
A black widow spider bite can feel like a pinprick, according to the National Institutes of Health, but the effects are much farther reaching. The symptoms are wide ranging and can include muscle pain, breathing difficulties, sweating, light sensitivity and nausea and vomiting.
While bites in healthy adults are rarely fatal, children or the elderly can die from black widow venom.
There is an antivenin.