Are you ready to ask yourself why you don't recycle? Ease into the process by joining our #ZeroWaste Challenge!
1. The average American produces 4.3 pounds of trash every day! That's 1.5 tons of solid waste a year.
2. Just to get the picture across, that means we fill up 63,000 garbage trucks every day!
3. Americans throw away 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour.
4. Americans produce 3,000 pounds of food waste every second.
5. Every three months, Americans throw enough aluminum in the landfills to build our nation's entire commercial air fleet.
6. Americans throw away enough office paper each year to build a 12 foot high wall from Seattle to NY.
7. Over 75% of waste is recyclable, but we only recycle about 30% of it.
8. As of 2011, less than 35% of households and less than 10% of businesses in the U.S. recycle 9. Making paper from recycled paper reduces the related contribution to air pollution 95%.
10. It requires 95% less energy and water to recycle a can than it does to create a can from virgin materials.
While many continue to allow their trash to accumulate, one New York woman is making an effort to change the way we think about waste. Over the past two years, Lauren Singer has produced only enough trash to fill a 16 oz mason jar. Watch: You Can Live Without Producing Trash.